Saturday 29 June 2013

Ilsa: She Wolf of the SS - Will's Review

After the Naziploitation movies from the DPP list, I think we were both ready to turn our back on the genre forever; however, a reader on our FaceBook group requested / recommended this one, and so here we are.

I will say, right off the bat, that this is without question the best (or least-bad) Nazi movie we have watched; I'd even go as far as to say I enjoyed this one.



Yes, Big chunks of it were played for titillation (that's half of the appeal if Exploitation movies are your thing after all) but the very worst of the abuse, not so much; When a POW gets raped, we usually see the horror on her face, rather than the pleasure on the face of her attacker (or worse; groin and boob close-ups), and this one actually had a plot!

The usual "Nazis doing experiments" story (which this time dealt mostly with Ilsa's desire to prove that women can tolerate pain better than men) is present and correct, but this time around we have a properly realised escape sub-plot. Admittedly, the escape plan falls apart at the end when most of the prisoners decide to stay and take revenge, rather than actually escape, but points for effort.

I'm not going to actively recommend this one, but I believe its the first movie of its type that I'm not branding "Avoid"

No comments:

Post a Comment