Saturday 9 February 2013

Bride of Frankenstein - Lisa's Review


I must be one of the few people who hadn't seen this weeks movie in its entirety before.  I have seen clips and probably so many, there wasn't much of the movie I hadn't seen.

It receives critical acclaim, everyone seems to love it.  What did I think?  Mmmmm meh.....  I didn't dislike it, but I wouldn't go mad about it.  I kinda get like that about movies everyone else seems to love, I just can't be arsed getting all excited about.  Star Wars, Star Trek..... Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

I haven't actually seen the predecessor, but since I know the basic story of Frankenstein and have seen other versions, I don't think I was missing much back story.

What I would say I did like about the movie were the characters of Praetorious, The Monster and The Bride of Frankenstein.  Its interesting how iconic the bride is when she is in the movie for such a short period of time and doesn't even speak beyond a series of grunts and hisses.  I was shocked how little she is actually in it.

I won't go into a big description about what this movie is about as I very much doubt anyone hasn't seen it and I've got the headache from hell.

Basically Henry Frankenstein has realised the error of his ways in creating The Monster in the first movie, but  when he discovers the monster is not in actual fact dead, as everyone believes, he is cajoled into helping his former mentor, the mad Dr Praetorious in creating a woman for him. The movie is about little more than that. Some people are killed by the monster, we are shown he has the potential for love and learning with his short friendship with a blind man and we follow Henrys struggle with his conscious in what he's doing versus his scientific mind.

While the characters and makeup are great, its just not a movie I think I would watch again.  I can understand why so many people love it.  It has an iconic feel about it.  You can watch it and realise straight away what scenes would be the stand-out ones.  Its just not my kind of movie.

If you've reached adulthood without seeing this movie, there's probably a reason.  If you're the kind of person who would love this movie... you'll have seen it already.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really surprised by this - especially I you enjoyed 'Freaks' so much.

    I'm so glad I didn't read your review before posting mine - I'd have probably gushed even more to compensate!

    ReplyDelete