Saturday 24 August 2013

Within The Woods - Lisa's Review

A novel one this week.  A mere 32 minutes long and a short movie by Sam Raimi that went on to be remade with a significantly larger budget as Evil Dead.

It starred mostly Mr Raimi's friends, but he was lucky enough to have Bruce Campbell in it also!!  (not that you would know... he shows none of his characteristic massive persona in this offering).

This movie was released in 1978 and any surviving copies are very difficult to watch due to the quality of the recording.  It is available on Youtube if you want a nosey.

What can I say?  I thought that mostly it was gawd awful.  Dated in a way that is difficult to get past (for me at least) and with a budget soooo low, you wonder how on earth he managed to get funding for Evil Dead.


I can't say I enjoyed watching it at all and if it weren't for the blog reviews, I would have turned off within 5 to 10 minutes.

One positive I will give to this movie however is its sound effects.  Yes, you heard me right.  Whether it be stab noises, gurglings, possessed voices or various other noises surrounding deaths.  They were delightfully eerie and realistic.  For me, any moments of feeling impressed end there.

Maybe bigger fans of the actual Evil Dead movie will enjoy it more than I did as a piece of movie nostalgia, but it's certainly not one I will watch again.


No comments:

Post a Comment