Saturday 4 August 2012

Human Centipede 2: Full Sequence - Will's Review

PREVIEW WEEK:


DUE TO WEEK 63's MOVIE (REVENGE OF THE BOOGEYMAN) BEING DELAYED OVER ON OUR MAIN SITE, WE HAVE DECIDED TO KICK OFF "BEYOND NASTY" EARLY WITH A SPECIAL PREVIEW. NORMAL SERVICE WILL RESUME OVER ON VideoNastyAWeek.co.uk UNTIL DECEMBER, WHEN BeyondNasty.co.uk WILL TAKE OVER FULL-TIME.

I'm not a fan of the first Human Centipede, not for any taste reasons (obviously - look at the sites I write for) but because I found it to be very dull - sure, it had a gross / funny / interesting central concept, but once you get there, there isn't much else for the movie top do / say.

That said, the second the BBFC said that they were refusing it classification outright (A possibly the later reversed after over 2 mins of cuts) I knew that I HAD to see it (and that it HAD to be the first review on VNAW's sister site).

I'm pleased to announce that this is not only a much more depraved movie than the original, It's also a much better one - everything from the story, to the acting, to the cinematography is a vast improvement. I do feel that the decision to film in black and white (or rather, to release  in B&W - the movie was filmed in colour then converted) was a little pretentious, but that said, it may have been impossible to stomach in colour!

This time around, the movie uses the old trick of being set in "our world" - the first 'Human Centipede' was only a movie, and our (for want of a better word) 'hero' (Martin) is obsessed with it; watching it several times a day, keeping a scrap-book on it, even owning a real pet centipede.

Of course, his real dream is to build a real "Human Centipede" - Not with 3 segments (like Dr Heiter); but with 12 (oh, and to wrap his penis in barbed wire and have sex with said centipede).

Unfortunately for his 12 victims (including Ashlynn Yennie, 'Jenny' from the first movie, here playing herself), he is no surgeon. Where Heiter had Aesthetic, an operating room, and surgical experience and know-how, Martin has a hammer to the back of the head, A grubby warehouse, gaffer tape and a stapler!

In the midst of all the blood snot and shit, one scene did make me laugh out loud - I'll not spoil it; but look out for Martin taking a second out of his day to interact with the toddler he orphaned...

As is usually the case, I'd recommend that you go for the uncut version, although it does appear to be missing one thing that the cut version has - apparently, following the administration of some powerful laxatives, Director Tom Six adds a "splash" of colour (think along the lines of a scatological version the red coat from Schindler's List). I watched the appropriate part 3 times, but I never spotted it :(

FUN FACT: The role of Martin was originally a speaking part, but actor Laurence R. Harvey kept forgetting to speak during rehearsal - The director liked it so much he edited the script and took all of Martin's dialogue out.

BEST MOMENT: Martin 'talking' to the toddler

WORST MOMENT: Ambiguous ending.


 

3 comments:

  1. Agreed it was a much better movie on all the counts you mentioned than 'Human Centipede'. I liked the fact it was in B&W. I always think blood (and in this case other bodily fluids) look better in B&W and the filming in colour and conversion seemed to add extra depth.

    I didn't know that part about Martin originally having dialogue. It was a good move from the director to remove it, it makes Martins character all the more wierd.

    Kicking myself that I've forgotten the toddler bit... I did watch this some time ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a tiny tiny tiny tiny bit interested in seeing the second film now. Funny that we watched the first one with Andrew and Heidi. I think they've just about forgiven us for that. Time for the second one soon then! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost put the toddler but in the review as a clip, but decided that it isn't nearly as funny out-of-context.

    It genuinely got a belly laugh out of me - I was watching on the portable player with headphones, and my reaction prompted a 'what's so funny'. Apparently 'Human Centepede 2' is not a good answer to that question...

    ReplyDelete